This stunning array of colorful vegetables—including sweet peppers, fennel, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, and asparagus—is marinated in balsamic vinegar and can be grilled alongside your favorite juicy steak or chicken breast.
Prep 20min | Cook 25min | Ready In 45min
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 red sweet peppers, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
- 2 yellow sweet peppers, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
- 1 bulb fennel, stemmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick segments
- 6 large mushrooms
- 2 medium Japanese eggplants, ends trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
- For marinade, in a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, snipped basil, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Place each vegetable in a separate bowl; add some of the marinade to each bowl and toss gently. Reserve any remaining marinade.
- For a charcoal grill, grill vegetables, in batches starting with the longest cooking vegetables, on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals until crisp-tender (use timings from chart below); turn once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place vegetables on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Arrange grilled vegetables on a platter; pour the reserved marinade over vegetables. If desired, garnish with basil sprigs. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings (1/6 of the vegetables per serving)
- Grilling Timings: For the sweet peppers, fennel, and mushrooms, allow 8 to 10 minutes.
- Grilling Timings: For the eggplant and zucchini, allow 5 to 7 minutes.
- Grilling Timings: For the asparagus, allow 4 to 5 minutes.